Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    damien

'neck diagrams.' for linux ?

I am one of many people keen to move from windows over to linux.
    Guitar pro 6 works well under linux. All im missing now is neck diagrams.
    please could you consider making a version that runs in linux.

Hi Damien,

This is something I've considered, but I'm not keen to increase my testing by 50%! (Windows, Mac + Linux) My guess is that the number of Linux users would be fairly small, but maybe I'm misjudging that. Interesting that GuitarPro have a Linux version, but they've got WAY more people working for them!

Maybe I could try doing a Linux build after 1.9 is out, if you fancy being a bit of a guinea pig?! I can do some basic testing on a virtual machine (is Ubuntu the distro of choice these days?) and if it looks good & behaves for you also then I could maybe put some details on the download page that "linux version available on request"...

Have you tried running ND under Wine? Not tried that myself, wonder if it'd work like that...?
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

A Linux version will be worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Hi Damien,

This is something I've considered, but I'm not keen to increase my testing by 50%! (Windows, Mac + Linux) My guess is that the number of Linux users would be fairly small, but maybe I'm misjudging that. Interesting that GuitarPro have a Linux version, but they've got WAY more people working for them!

Maybe I could try doing a Linux build after 1.9 is out, if you fancy being a bit of a guinea pig?! I can do some basic testing on a virtual machine (is Ubuntu the distro of choice these days?) and if it looks good & behaves for you also then I could maybe put some details on the download page that "linux version available on request"...

Have you tried running ND under Wine? Not tried that myself, wonder if it'd work like that...?
    Trying this out in Wine now for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Brand new to the Linux world and I'm tired of Windows discrepancies, slow boot/processing times, bloatware, viruses, etc. So far it seems to be working after booting in Wine and re-registering the standard then pro versions. Hope this doesn't count as one of my 3 installations because I'm not sure if Wine will keep working or not. Will keep you posted.

If it doesn't work, I think it's still worth the effort to release a Linux version due to the popularity of Linux growing by leaps and bounds. Currently some more popular brands like Dell, Acer, and Asus are releasing some of their laptops with Ubuntu OS installed.

From my research, there's a great site called DistroWatch that shows all the most popular Linux distros and their rankings over the years. Currently, Linux Mint is on top with Ubuntu trailing a close 3rd and Mageia in 2nd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.ericbeaty.com

Thanks for the info and the pic - very interesting!

1.9 is indeed out now, but I won't be able to experiment with doing a Linux build for a while as still have tons of stuff to sort out at the moment. Wine definitely looks like it's doing a good job in the meantime
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Thanks for the info and the pic - very interesting!

1.9 is indeed out now, but I won't be able to experiment with doing a Linux build for a while as still have tons of stuff to sort out at the moment. Wine definitely looks like it's doing a good job in the meantime
    I just want to place my vote for a Linux version. I do all my music related stuff on Linux. Best DAW around. Harrison Mix Bus rocks, I have a linux version of Transcribe which is a fabulous program.

If wine works well, than that is an option but often requires tweaking of the windows code to get it happy. I'm testing 1.9 on wine right now but running into a few problems.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestion. At this point in time Linux still doesn't look like a viable option for us I'm afraid. Even with this thread, which is two years old now, we can count requests for a Linux version on one hand. Maybe one and a half

Hopefully you can get past the WINE hiccups lol, we've had a couple users report that ND works OK under WINE.

Thanks
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestion. At this point in time Linux still doesn't look like a viable option for us I'm afraid. Even with this thread, which is two years old now, we can count requests for a Linux version on one hand. Maybe one and a half

Hopefully you can get past the WINE hiccups lol, we've had a couple users report that ND works OK under WINE.

Thanks
    Dean
    Hi Dean

Thanks for the response. In fact, the program itself seems to work nearly flawlessly under wine. The only problem I have is a very annoying error message "Periodic workspace save has encountered a problem". This pops up regularly, but clearing it and continuing everything else seems to work fine. I believe this is a problem with Java under wine. There are many references to it on the net but so far I haven't found any solution.

Anyway, for now, the application seems to work fine under wine (pun intended!)

Colin

Hi Colin

We might have an idea on the "Periodic Workspace Save" problem. We're not suggesting we're supporting Linux now but are happy to take a look at what we've stumbled across. We'll just need your log file. Being a Linux user I'm sure you can follow the following without the need for screenshots

Probably the simplest way to get it is:

1. open the About Neck Diagrams window,
    2. click the Installation Details button,
    3. click on the Configuration tab,
    4. then click the 'View error log' button
      (if on Windows it might prompt you to choose an application, Notepad is fine)
    5. then save the file and email it over

Thanks
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi Colin

We might have an idea on the "Periodic Workspace Save" problem. We're not suggesting we're supporting Linux now but are happy to take a look at what we've stumbled across. We'll just need your log file. Being a Linux user I'm sure you can follow the following without the need for screenshots

Probably the simplest way to get it is:

1. open the About Neck Diagrams window,
    2. click the Installation Details button,
    3. click on the Configuration tab,
    4. then click the 'View error log' button
      (if on Windows it might prompt you to choose an application, Notepad is fine)
    5. then save the file and email it over

Thanks
    Dean
    Hi Dean

That is great news. I am tied up at work right now, but I will try and get the info you are requesting this weekend.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Dean

Sorry, I completely forgot about this. I have the file now. Are you still willing to take a look at it?

Thanks

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by colincci View Post
    Hi Dean

That is great news. I am tied up at work right now, but I will try and get the info you are requesting this weekend.

Thanks

Colin

Thread Information