5 String Banjo Neck

Are you going to fix the display of the 5-string banjo neck. On the 5-string, the 5th string starts at the 5th fret. It does no extend all the way to the nut, as it does in the current version of the banjo neck in 'Neck Diagrams'.

Hi JazzStudent

Well spotted... Nobody else has mentioned this, not since I've been with the team at least

Anyway, yes it's on the list of things to tidy up but we're working flat out bring many new and improved features to ND. I can't give a time frame when it'll be fixed but it's on the to do list.

I / we appreciate it's a little annoying but only takes a few click to remove any notes added between nut and 4th fret. Not that I'm justifying the inaccuracy, just identifying that there is a workaround available until we implement the fix.

Kind regards
    Dean Cross

Hi, thanks for your response, but there is another problem. The 5th string in the current configutarion is shown as a 'G' string (with the string reaching to the nut). Unfortunately, it is a 'G' string when it starts at the 5th fret. If you extend it to the nut, you must make it a 'D' string so that the 'G' note occurs at the 5th fret.

Hi Jazzstudent

Another good spot. Two of you have bought this up within a couple days of each other.

I've logged a ticket for our developers to fix this a future update. In the mean time you can get around this creating a custom tuning which is explained below.

1 - Go to the Instrument Library, right click the Banjo category and select 'New Tuning'

2 - Click 'Next' on the window that appears as you want to add it to the same instrument category

3 - Now select '5 Five String' in the 'Add to Existing' section and click 'Next'

4 - Now select a pitch for each open string. you'll want D D G B D and then click 'Finish'.

That's it, your Banjo tuning will be available in the Instrument Library alongside all the other Banjo's.

Let me know if you need any further help with this. I'll make a note to post here as and when the issues are fixed.

Regards
    Dean

Hi Jazzstudent,

I've just been looking into this. As Dean says, we have a ticket to implement 'proper' 5 string banjo fretboards where the 5th string doesn't extend to the nut and the edge of the fretboard tapers from the 5th fret to the nut...

In the meantime we're going to change the tuning of the standard Open G and C Tunings so that notes on the fifth string will show correctly:

If you've got any fretboards using the old tunings then that'll show up in the Instrument Library as a custom tuning (in grey in the Inspector pic above).

One downside is that tuning legend won't show correctly at least not until we implement the proper version as per the plans!

Hopefully this change will help? We'll be releasing it in the coming weeks along with a couple other small tweaks as part of 1.9.2
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information