Thread: Scale Generator

Scale Generator

If I bring up the Scale Generator and drag it off to left side of the screen so my mouse touches the left edge of the physical screen, I get a big blue box on the screen...same thing happenes with my right monitor which does not even have the application displayed on it. I shouldn't be able to drag a window like the SG out of the app either.

On my interval map in the SG I seeing the letter "b" used for the flat symbol. It looks a bit strange and I have seen this elsewhere. On the fretboard it uses the proper symbol.

Hi Erik,

Wow that's a ton of posts!

The first thing you mention does not sound like a Neck Diagrams thing - we've not coded up anything like that! In fact it sounds very much like the "Snap" feature introduced in Windows 7, take a look here:

Fair point re the 'b's on actual labels. We have better control over what we paint on the diagrams rather than the text the OS allows us to show, hence the simpler letter b's. I'll check if we don't have a ticket for this then I'll raise one so it gets looked into!

It'll take a while to answer all your other tickets Erik so bear with us and will try to post as time allows over the weekend!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Hi Justin,

Yes the blue box thing looks like a Windows "feature".....crazy stuff! Sorry for posting that one....I have never seen that before. Thanks for looking into the "b" symbol--probably the same for "#" I would imagine. Does your app use Unicode? The proper sharp and flat characters should be available in the musical code page.

Hi Justin,

N.B. that I added this as a Feature Request on the other page where I describe the desired behavior in a bit more detail.

I forgot to add that it would be very handy to have a drop down to select the "Note marker label" (pitch class, interval, note, MIDI note number, custom, etc.) in the Scale Generator dialog as opposed to having to set it in the Property Inspector dialog. The term "Fret marker label" might be more correct as an interval designation is not really a note. The only downside to this change is that theoretically you could put different labels on the fletboard which might not be a bad thing. I suppose once the fretboard contains one type of label you could gray out the dropdown to prevent other label types from being used if you wanted to keep the labels uniform.
    Last edited by Erik in NJ; 10-14-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ View Post
    Does your app use Unicode? The proper sharp and flat characters should be available in the musical code page.
    Yes indeed it does Eric, but that's different to what fonts are actually availableon the machine ND is installed on! For example when looking into this previously it turned out that Windows XP doesn't have MS Arial Unicode installed by default - perhaps it's now included in one of the service packs, but it's not an approach we can rely on...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ
    I forgot to add that it would be very handy to have a drop down to select the "Note marker label" (pitch class, interval, note, MIDI note number, custom, etc.) in the Scale Generator dialog as opposed to having to set it in the Property Inspector dialog.
    You aren't using this setting on every note are you?! You ought to be using the setting at the fretboard level, so you only do this once and it applies to all notes on the fretboard (or just set it in the Preferences to whatever you use the most!)

The ability to set this per note is really meant to be used as an override - i.e. if you want to show some notes with something different to what the majority on the fretboard are showing!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ
    The term "Fret marker label" might be more correct as an interval designation is not really a note.
    TBH I disagree! The important part here is label imho. At every fret where you can place a marker there is indeed a note there! The label is the part that is changing to show the desired information...

A fret marker would be confused with the dots along the neck - actually, I should check what terminology I'm using for that in the Insepctor - I'd guess they're already called fret markers.. which is how everyone else refers to them, I believe!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information