Staff Music / Tablature Software?

New Neck Diagrams Customer,

First off, this is *fantastic* software. It took me less than 10 minutes of working with the software to want to go pro, and 7 hours to go pro (only because I have to stop myself from impulse buying). I can't believe the power to ease ratio of Neck Diagrams. Truly an amazing piece of software! I wish something like this was around when I was a kid!

Question to throw out there. Is there software, similar in ease and power of Neck Diagrams, that allows someone to write sheet music and/or tablature?

Way back in the day, I wrote software that allowed you write songs with a melody on a staff and chord names or guitar chord diagrams (like a fake book) but it was on Unix and you had to write a file using a pseudo language which then had to be compiled to produce an eps or pdf file. Yes, it was Linux the 90's.

Surely there must be something similar to Neck Diagrams out there these days for staff music and tablature?

Thanks!
    Pete

Welcome on board Pete!

I've no idea about other products out there, but you may be interested to hear I plan to add some kind of tab support in future. Would probably be an experimental basic thing first to see how it goes, as it's a HUGE amount of effort!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Hi Justin,

Not to stroke your ego, but given how amazingly powerful yet simple-to-use Neck Diagrams is, I have no doubt that your tab support will be truly top-notch.

The Linux programmer in me would offer to help out with the Java programming (doesn't quite look like SWING, but it does look Java-ish?) but I've been in the working world long enough to know that's not how commercial software works. So instead, let me just say that if you need beta testers, sign me up. I'm definitely interested in helping with that effort in any way I can!

It would be amazing to be able to annotate and categorize passages, licks, and harmonic ideas. I know this is a long term goal, but I'm excited about the prospect.

Pete

Ah well it's comments like that that help me to keep at it Thanks Pete!

Sure, beta testers will be required - I should setup an email list or a private area on the forums for that.. You might be interested to hear there might be a Linux version made available later this year; not sure how many folks out there would want that but I get the odd email asking about it, so some testing on that would definitely be appreciated.

BTW it's SWT
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Staff/Tab software

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    New Neck Diagrams Customer,

First off, this is *fantastic* software. It took me less than 10 minutes of working with the software to want to go pro, and 7 hours to go pro (only because I have to stop myself from impulse buying). I can't believe the power to ease ratio of Neck Diagrams. Truly an amazing piece of software! I wish something like this was around when I was a kid!

Question to throw out there. Is there software, similar in ease and power of Neck Diagrams, that allows someone to write sheet music and/or tablature?

Way back in the day, I wrote software that allowed you write songs with a melody on a staff and chord names or guitar chord diagrams (like a fake book) but it was on Unix and you had to write a file using a pseudo language which then had to be compiled to produce an eps or pdf file. Yes, it was Linux the 90's.

Surely there must be something similar to Neck Diagrams out there these days for staff music and tablature?

Thanks!
    Pete
    First, Neck Diagrams is a great piece of software for generating scale and chord diagrams.

As to your question about Staff/Tab software, take a look at Guitar Pro.

As far as neck/chord diagrams, I just can't think of any software even close to be as powerful as Neck Diagrams. I write music on computer since 1997 and no, there is none in my opinion.

For Staff/Tab, I'll go with Guitar Pro, especially if you prefer to enter tab and for Sibelius if you prefer to enter staff (and have the money for this one). Finale is way too clumsy and other cheap softwares (Guitar Pro is cheap btw) are way too ugly and/or not easy to use and/or missing crucial tools.

But hey, I can't know every software! I hope there will be other inputs in this thread.

Regards.
    Cours de musique sur Toulouse
    http://formationmusicale.wordpress.com/

"Rock The Casbah" : colo musique et cinéma en Haute-Garonne
    http://toulouserock.blogspot.com/

Check out the Vexflow site. It can do what you want, except that it's not as easy as Neck Diagrams. In fact, it's rather fiddly at first, but if you've done some programming you'll catch on pretty quick.

It's free and everything is done online. Here is one of the inventor's example pages:

http://my.vexflow.com/articles/53

Click the Edit to see the source code.

Quote Originally Posted by fonnet View Post
    For Staff/Tab, I'll go with Guitar Pro, especially if you prefer to enter tab and for Sibelius if you prefer to enter staff (and have the money for this one). Finale is way too clumsy and other cheap softwares (Guitar Pro is cheap btw) are way too ugly and/or not easy to use and/or missing crucial tools.
    Actually, with Guitar Pro you can enter directly on the staff or the tab... I have tabbed out stuff from my son's clarinet lesson books by inputting straight to the staff in guitar pro (and then annoyed him by playing along while he practices his clarinet ). The inputting is actually pretty easy after a few minutes of doing it.

Thread Information