Custom Note Label

There is a "Custom" option in the Label options list in the Style section of the Note tab. What does this do? I was hoping it would allow me to use a letter "R" (signifying Root note) as an alternative to "1" when displaying intervals on the notes. If not, can someone show me how to do this? In any case, what can I do with "Custom"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stringtheorist View Post
    I was hoping it would allow me to use a letter "R" (signifying Root note) as an alternative to "1" when displaying intervals on the notes.
    Well this is the easy bit so will tackle this first! 'R' is actually the default way root notes are marked, but you've set an option to show them as '1' in the Preferences, on the Interval Names page:

pic pinched from another thread, which you might find useful:
    http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums/s...ng-Scale-tones

In any case, what can I do with "Custom"?
    The key to using this is to right-click on a note and select the "Set custom label..." option You'll get a little popup window which you can type up to 2 characters into (the next update will allow 3 iirc).

Also remember that setting the label style directly on the note is fine if you want to just tweak a note here and there on the fretboard, but if you want to change it across the whole fretboard you should do this from the "Note marker labels" option on the fretboard itself (Board tab in the Inspector)! But you probably already knew that

HTH!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information