Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I suppose this would be handy if you forget to add a colour to the custom colour palette (although fairly easy to go back and add it). The colour chooser is a system provided dialog window however, and I'm not sure there are hooks to add custom content in there, at least not from the API exposed to me..
    Understood (see above). The issue here isn't so much that I want to add custom colors. Rather, when I'm creating a diagram with just a few colors (the normal case), I will constantly setting most of the objects to just those colors. However this requires some precision pointing to be sure I grab the correct red or green or blue or whatever. I will often notice later on that I accidentally hit the adjacent color entry on one object. The MS Office UI element with 'recently used colors' showing at the bottom of the chooser (and even more: the default operation if you click the 'set color' button rather than the down-arrow that brings up the chooser) is a real convenience that I use constantly. It avoids the need for a precise mouse operation so I can work more quickly.

But again, if you're using an inherited color picker this is basically moot. Either they'd have to add this feature to the platform, or you'd have to decide this was important enough to build your own (unlikely until you have a team of a hundred engineers working on this tool, heh heh).
    -- Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by spinality View Post
    It's the 'left/right' colors that should be filled in to match the current color.
    I just realized that you could simplify the note color portion of the inspector by getting rid of the 'override color' button entirely, and just having the 'left' and 'right' color choosers -- PLUS a 'link' or 'lock' button between them that, when selected, makes the right the same as the left (analogous to 'maintain aspect ratio' link buttons common with height/width settings). Then, when you click on any note, the two color buttons would immediately be set to the current color of the left and right parts (which would often be the same, and would often be the default color).

This would save me a lot of time (today, when changing a single-color note to two colors, we have to set both left and right, since the choosers don't inherit the default or the override color).

If you add top/bottom colors, as discussed earlier, there would be a natural UI extension with some more 'link' buttons to tie any pair of adjacent colors, or to tie all four colors.

NeckDiag6.jpg

This is probably more discussion than you wanted on this trivial point but I just spent half an hour coloring the left and right sides of a LOT of notes.

UPDATE: Oh, just noticed that setting an override color for a root note does NOT override the root color if root coloring is turned on. Logically, I think a user would expect that an override would...erm...override.
    Last edited by spinality; 05-21-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Extra point, no need for a separate post
    -- Trevor

Thread Information