Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPad Version??

No no no, don't worry! If you're thinking everything might be shifting to be browser-based then you've got the wrong end of the stick unfortunately! The desktop application will remain, it won't be changing to a web/browser application.

When I said previously "you'd need to be connected to the internet to use it" I don't mean you'd need to access the mobile version via a browser but simply that the app would need a data connection to a server so you would need to have an internet connection.

For example if you turn off your 3G data and WiFi on your phone you don't have an internet connection so the app would not work in that situation; it'd probably be dependent on the speed of the connection too so slow mobile data for example might make it painful to use. Which is why I'm not at all keen on that approach!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

I'm just getting into the discussion...

Having some access to downloads or collaboration would be nice, but requiring it for the app to run would cripple some of us. I don't always teach in a place where I have internet access.

Also, $10 would be a fair price for the app. Especially if it turns out as well designed as the current version. However, it would be totally cool of you to offer some sort of discount to those of us that have already purchased the app in it's non-ipad/iphone form.

~Danny

Hi Danny,

Yes - I'm not at all keen on the idea of it only working when there's a net connection... think I'm going to give up on that route as it'd bound to be be a deal-breaker for many.

Pricing is tricky as there'd be a large difference between the tablet and desktop versions. I had thought of offering a discount to those with the desktop version - just not sure how this works via the app store? I think it's possible to provide some kind of voucher link? Any experience of that? I'm pretty sure you can't type in a discount code when buying apps, right?!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Hi Danny,

Yes - I'm not at all keen on the idea of it only working when there's a net connection... think I'm going to give up on that route as it'd bound to be be a deal-breaker for many.

Pricing is tricky as there'd be a large difference between the tablet and desktop versions. I had thought of offering a discount to those with the desktop version - just not sure how this works via the app store? I think it's possible to provide some kind of voucher link? Any experience of that? I'm pretty sure you can't type in a discount code when buying apps, right?!
    I don't have any with it myself, but Matt Warnock of http://mattwarnockguitar.com/ gives away freebies of his apps all the time. If you can get in contact with him, he may have some insight for you.

+1 for me.
    Would definilty spend few bucks for iPad or Android version.

But a Java Online applet would be great too ! Voiding Flash at all cost for iPad compatibility.

Anyway, great work Justin !

Quote Originally Posted by lindydanny View Post
    I don't have any with it myself, but Matt Warnock of http://mattwarnockguitar.com/ gives away freebies of his apps all the time. If you can get in contact with him, he may have some insight for you.
    Thanks for the tip - will have to drop Matt a line!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaemeth View Post
    But a Java Online applet would be great too ! Voiding Flash at all cost for iPad compatibility.
    Oh yes, Flash is a non-starter, that won't happen so nothing to worry about there!
    Similarly for a Java applet - although I thought that doesn't work on iOS either no? But it'd probably require an active internet connection anyways so no good for when you're not online... Unless it'd get cached but then there's no Java Control Panel on iOS so my guess is that it won't, right?!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Well, maybe the Java Applet is a no no solution as it mostly relies on dependencies resolutions. My approach was based on the facts that your application is definitly a great tool that should be available on every system.
    Imho, mobile version are more enclined to need maintenance, as technology still evolves here with new screens, ui and ergonomics, tactile approach etc. So no pb to pay a mobile version.
    For notebook and desktops, using an applet would virtually adress every platform. I didnt meant a wzb browser based version but a .jar one, as JREs are now almost 100% installed. Depending on your actual implementation, your only work would only need to address UI adaptation and choose the right Ui framework.
    Mac wont be a pb at all

Just wondering if there's an update on this topic. I own NeckDiagrams already, but I am rarely on the desktop now that there are so many iPad music apps available. I'd love the see NeckDiagrams added.

Its still in the works, not been massively active on this front yet as we're making progress on ND v2.

Regards,
    Nick
    Nick

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/NeckDiagrams

Hi All,

So, finally getting things rolling here! Trouble is we don't have in-house iOS/Android SDK skills and as there's not enough time in the day to learn this stuff (hate to think how long it'd be before become productive too!) we're going to have to hire some folks to help us out on this front.

We've actually been in discussion with some teams, and I wanted to see if my idea/direction with this is something that'd keep you guys happy...

As hiring good guys is going to cost a lot I want to limit the scope of the first iteration of this primarily as working on a large project leaves lots of room for problems when working with an unknown team -will they hit targets? -will their work be buggy? -will they be easy to work with? etc etc etc

Writing a feature complete version that matches the desktop app is a HUGE amount of work so we're keen to reduce the scope in some way, so the guys can prove themselves, we find out how they are to work with, all without embarking on a multi-year project that turns into a cash black hole! Not that there's much of that around as it's all going into v2 development but that's another story - and it's going great btw!

Now the main way to keep things simple as I see it, is to keep the mobile version limited to editing a single fretboard at a time. So no page/canvas where you can add as many fretboards/text/images/etc as you like and move them about, resize them...

You'd also probably be able to add a text note to the fretboard. It'd be able to play back the sound of your chord or scale. But a cool feature would be the ability to select a bunch of these individual fretboards in the mobile app and then send them to the desktop Neck Diagrams where it'd receive them and allow you to assemble them onto a single page, if you choose, so you can prepare stuff on the go (and e.g. email them to folks too) but also easily assemble/finish up pages with that content.

How does that grab you???

I guess it's not quite what you all want, but Rome wasn't built in a day and in time we'll get there with future iterations! Doesn't seem like an outlandish compromise, right?

Looking forward to your thoughts...
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information