Open position major scales!

Hey folks, I noticed that many of my students don't practice their scales using open strings.

I created this chart and a couple of backing tracks to practice with (II V I going through the cycle of 4ths). My main goal was to use open strings as much as possible in each major scale shape while giving them something to improvise with once they can play through all twelve.

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

I'd attach the backing tracks, but they are quite large (45MB).

EDIT: I tried to attach the .pdf, but for some reason it would not accept it (a red exclamation pops up next to the file when I try to upload it. Tested with other .pdf files and they work fine.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnland; 02-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Very interesting idea re using open strings - generally much overlooked like you say.
    (odd about the PDF, but it's nice to have the .fbd here so folks can open it in their ND also!)

Re the backing tracks - can you maybe email them to me? I'm happy to host them and put links to them in the thread! Will send you a PM with an email address..
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
    Hey folks, I noticed that many of my students don't practice their scales using open strings.

I created this chart and a couple of backing tracks to practice with (II V I going through the cycle of 4ths). My main goal was to use open strings as much as possible in each major scale shape while giving them something to improvise with once they can play through all twelve.

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

I'd attach the backing tracks, but they are quite large (45MB).

EDIT: I tried to attach the .pdf, but for some reason it would not accept it (a red exclamation pops up next to the file when I try to upload it. Tested with other .pdf files and they work fine.)
    Thank you for sharing your work! Haven't downloaded it yet but I will after this post. Just wanted to be sure I thanked you proper and all

And yes, backing tracks would be very helpfulll

Thanks for checking it out!

Sorry about the backing tracks, I've been super busy lately and hadn't been back here to get things sorted.

I now have some cool real tracks from BIAB for the text book version of Moose the Mooche and Real Book version of Autumn Leaves.

I will work out a public way for folks to just download them shortly. Justin gave me some nice tips, I've just been mega busy.

SOON!

Here's the backing track... hope folks find it useful, and not too challenging

click link to download -> cycle-of-4ths-all-keys.zip

Many thanks to John for this!!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

No problem! I think we need more communities where teachers share ideas! Hopefully this place will be bursting with people before too long .

Thread Information