Is it possible for note marker to show both the note and interval?

I'd like to be able to have the note marker show the note and interval. i.e. D/b7

Is there anyway to do this? If not, could it be considered for a future release?

Kind Regards,
    Fleet

Hi Fleet,

No, you can't have two sets of info on a note marker. I can't say I'm keen on the idea as I think you'd need a really big fretboard with really big note markers for the text to be legible!

Have you tried the "Legend" feature on the fretboard Inspector options? This lets you show more than 1 thing on the same fretboard, so you can have additional row(s) at the end of the fretboard showing other info. So you can have the note name on the note markers and the intervals underneath, or whatever combination you fancy.

You can see example of this in the fretboards on the 'Rootless chords' post (<-link!).

Hopefully that's close enough to what you're after?!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Hi Justin,

Yes, currently I'm switching between intervals on the fretboard and notes in the legend and vice-versa. But then my eyes have to move up and down

BTW, I have read your rootless post and it seems as if the intervals change with method one (from the original diagram) and appear correctly with method number 2. Not sure why and it's probably just my lack of theory/knowledge.

As far as ease of seeing both pieces of info I tend to make my diagrams on the larger side as my eyesight is not quite what it used to be. I'd be willing to make them larger to get the info. Maybe if more request it......

P.S. The request actually came from my instructor. He teaches at a university and does private lessons as well and I've been showing him how I transcribe his lessons into your software. Much easier to read a week later than trying to decipher his pencil and paper work..... Just kidding, it actually lets me capture more information from what he did teach me as his diagrams are pretty small.

Kind Regards,
    Fleet
    Last edited by fsenseman; 12-17-2011 at 10:48 PM.

I'll raise a ticket for the "multiple item on a note marker" idea (so it doesn't get forgotten!), can't guarantee when it might get implemented but it probably will eventually Is it safe to assume you wouldn't want to try to squeeze three things on there?!

Quote Originally Posted by fsenseman View Post
    BTW, I have read your rootless post and it seems as if the intervals change with method one (from the original diagram) and appear correctly with method number 2. Not sure why and it's probably just my lack of theory/knowledge.
    Ah well spotted - the problem is that I made a mistake in the diagram - I incorrectly made the root F# when it should've been G!! Which explains why the intervals changed... I'll have to post a corrected image... Thanks for pointing that out!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'll raise a ticket for the "multiple item on a note marker" idea (so it doesn't get forgotten!), can't guarantee when it might get implemented but it probably will eventually Is it safe to assume you wouldn't want to try to squeeze three things on there?!
    Yep, I don't personally see the need for more than two items. I do use a combination of shapes and colors in my diagrams to indicate guide tones (3rd and 7th) and the the fact that roots are in red is very helpful. I would find it much easier though to have note/interval displayed as it would cut down the time needed to create the diagram. That plus moving my focus from the diagram to notation underneath does take my focus off the diagram itself. I frequently have these diagrams up when learning new scales, chords, etc and try not to look at the physical fretboard even though sometimes I have to. I do this while playing in real time so eliminating one of the places I need to look would be very helpful. I promise I won't ask for 3 things in the note marker down the road!

Also, I remember seeing somewhere, and I can't find it now, how to have a note marker split into two colors. I believe it was your software.... But I can't find the link to the part that showed how. Maybe you can point me in the right direction? I think the context was shared notes between different scales.....

Kind Regards,
    Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by fsenseman View Post
    Also, I remember seeing somewhere, and I can't find it now, how to have a note marker split into two colors. I believe it was your software.... But I can't find the link to the part that showed how. Maybe you can point me in the right direction? I think the context was shared notes between different scales.....
    Sure, that's controlled on a per-note basis. Just select a note you want to split into two colours and you'll find the option on the Inspector, cunningly labeled "Left/right colours"

Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Sure, that's controlled on a per-note basis. Just select a note you want to split into two colours and you'll find the option on the Inspector, cunningly labeled "Left/right colours"
    Yes, quite cunning indeed Will come to be very useful once I can get notes and intervals in the marker (with options for background text color to go with the two color marker, one for the note, and one for the interval. Now that ain't more than two things in the marker is it? ) I gotta say, this is one of my favorite programs, both from a utility point of view coupled with great (and witty!) product support. I recommend it whenever I can.

Having notes and intervals in the note marker would be great idea!

I hope that it makes it in to a future build!

Sounds like this might be a popular one, and quite useful for people. I've just raised the priority of this ticket, but tbh it'll be a few months before it gets out the door I think
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Sounds like this might be a popular one, and quite useful for people. I've just raised the priority of this ticket, but tbh it'll be a few months before it gets out the door I think
    We'll be here! Thanks for moving it up the list.

Thread Information