How do I change the defaults for the Notes Styles?

I want to make the default note shape larger. I haven't found a way to do this. So now I have to enter all the notes where I want and then box select them and make the changes.

Is there a way to change the defaults so that as I enter each note on the fretboard it comes in at the custom size I want?

I tried to upload an image but it tells me to refresh the page and log in again as I do not have permission to upload an image. I could use some help with this also.

Default has the note shape size at 27. I want them to be placed at the size of 44. And I want them to come in as a Note Label not an "As Fretboard."

Can someone link me to a tutorial that answers some or all of these issues?

I just bought the Pro version of ND 2. Thanks

I get this message when I try to upload an image...even though I am logged in.

"You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again."

2022-05-06_07-38-17.jpg

Fingers crossed that this will upload.

Hi!

Fist tip - don't change the setting for each note marker!

Lots of note marker settings are also controlled by the fretboard - e.g. the fretboard also has a "Use custom size" setting for the note markers. If you leave the individual note markers on the "As fretboard" setting then they'll use the values set for the fretboard, so you can change all of them easily in one go.

The settings for individual note markers are meant as an override to that set on the fretboard, say for example you wanted to make some notes a different size so they stand out more.

You can also specify a default for the fretboard-level note marker custom size - go the Preferences and click on the "Fretboard" entry on the left-hand side, you'll then see various fretboard preferences and around the middle are the custom size settings.

This works in "relative" mode - i.e. a percentage of the default note marker size. As the size of note markers depends on the size of the fretboard it doesn't make sense to enter an absolute value. So if you generally want them larger then you can specify a default custom size of e.g. 120% (max is 200%, min is 50%). Then also enable "Use custom size".

Hope that helps!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thanks Justin. I am not at my computer with ND on it but will play around with what you just told me. Thanks for such a quick reply.

Style size issue

I too would like to have the style size consistent and universal. However, the style size starts out at "20," but after placing a few notes the size changes to "10" and I have to "Use custom size" to change to 20 for EACH note from then on until I close the program and reopen it. I have the Standard ND2 and cannot find in Preferences/Fretboard/"custom size settings" listed as a choice. Is this only available in the Pro version?

When I first open ND, the style size for notes is automatically set at 20. However, after entering a few bars of the composition, it reverts to 10. Hence, I have to manually change the size back to 20 for EACH note I then place. I checked the Preferences/Fretboard (as Justin suggested) but there is no option there to adjust the custom size settings. I have the latest Standard version of ND; is the above option only available in the Pro version?

Hi tanyman,

Thanks for the details - I also had an email from another user on Friday with further details and I think the problem has been narrowed down to a bug when a document is saved that contains fretboards with no notes.

For example, if you create a new doc from a template, add some notes to one or more but not all fretboards then save the document. If you then add notes to the empty fretboards they'll show up smaller than the ones you already added.

The problem is because the fretboard field "Use custom size" is getting enabled unexpectedly. Noteice again that I said the fretboard field! If you uncheck this for the fretboard then the notes will revert to their normal, default sizes. Don't need to adjust for each individual note.

I've raised a bug ticket and am looking into this problem - hopefully I'll be able to release a new build with a fix by the end of the week but might be early next week. Somewhat hampered with the kids being at home this week (half-term break this week) and it being a short week due to the public holidays for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations over here in the UK!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information