Makefile Like Command Line batch scripting utility

Hello there.

I have a ton of lessons in both .gp(Guitar pro 7) / .fbd(Neck Diagrams 2) file format.

I need to modify them from time which becomes a pain when you have to export 70 files to .pdf one by one because you can't remember which files you've touched and which ones you haven't.

What I would like to see is a command line utility that would allow one to create a whole book or a folder of lessons from a makefile.

Here is an info page on make files if you are not familiar with them.

https://opensource.com/article/18/8/what-how-makefile

This would also be quite useful if the same command line export tool existed for guitar pro 7 so you would know everything is up to date.

You could export a whole set of lessons at will without pulling your hair out.

You could also merge all of the exported pdf files and create a finished book.

The following link is just to show that a program exists for merging pdfs in powershell.
    I've never used it.

https://evotec.xyz/merging-splitting...th-powershell/

So with this feature you could take a possibly 1 hour to 3 hour task complete it in about 15 minutes and have faith that the export and merge was done properly.

Here would be the command in the end.

C:\make createGuitarBook

and you would be done once the computer finished everything.

If anyone likes this idea then please harass the people who make guitar pro create a powershell export utility as well.

I don't think it would be that difficult. They already have all of the export code done. They'd just need a script kiddy to write a utility that checks licenses and processes a configuration file.

Cheers.

Hi Marcipicus,

Are you exporting by opening a document and exporting it from the editor? That would be tedious if you have a lot of files to export..

That's why you can also export from the Diagram Gallery view. You can select a bunch of files and export the lot of them in one go.

If you leave the "File per page" option unchecked then you'll get a PDF of all the documents merged.

If you click the "Next" button on the export wizard, instead of "Finish" right away, then you'll find the 3rd page of the wizard allows you to adjust the order of the documents, e.g. if they're no in filename order.

Hopefully that helps solve your problem?!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information