Hybrid View

changing headers?

How can I change headers? Chose a seven fretboard per page. I could put the first chord in the first header. After that I was not allowed to change the header. It does not show up as "title" as in the main tutorial but shows up as "header"--tried everything. What am I doing wrong?

Hi haw3jd,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question.. you're trying to edit the text at the top of the fretboard? You just double click on the text you want to edit and it goes into edit mode (if you've a recent build installed, the outline goes green to indicate it's in edit mode).

You can then edit the text, or click to position the caret where you want to make an edit. You exit edit mode by pressing the ESC key or just clicking on some other object, like the page background.
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Hi haw3jd,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question.. you're trying to edit the text at the top of the fretboard? You just double click on the text you want to edit and it goes into edit mode (if you've a recent build installed, the outline goes green to indicate it's in edit mode).

You can then edit the text, or click to position the caret where you want to make an edit. You exit edit mode by pressing the ESC key or just clicking on some other object, like the page background.
    Got some more info. As I said last night for whatever reason the fretboard is not going into edit mode so I cannot change the title. This morning I tried a different approach. Just loaded a single fretboard (not the 7 fretboards I had been using which only allowed a title on the first fretboard. No fretboard besides the first could be changed). So when I pulled up a single fretboard, it did allow edit on the header. I did the same for the second and third fretboard. Same result. But the fourth fretboard it somehow stopped allowing me to edit the header. It went back to not allowing it. At that point I pulled up a new fretboard and due to spacing I had to put it on top of the fourth fretboard that would not let me. The "fifth" fretboard did allow me to edit the header. So now I have the original fourth fretboard partially underneath the fifth fretboard but I don't now how to get rid of the fourth fretboard and save the "fifth"

But something locks the header at times and no matter whether you double click it does not go away. And when that happens and you try to for example put in the title a chord starting with A, it goes to insert a capo which apparently is Ctrl A even though I am not hitting control. Sorry for the length but I cannot explain it well without the detail. Do you all use team viewer, skype share screen or some other tool where I could show you tonight when I get off work? Thanks, Ad

Thanks for the extra info! It sounds like your issue is that the fretboards are overlapping - if another fretboard is actually partially on top in the Z-order at that location (including the blank area around it that's within the selection rectangle) then mouse events will be going to the one on top instead.

You'll just need to resize / position your fretboards so they don't overlap. If you're not using the fretboard footer then you can turn that off, will give you extra room. If you generally don't use the footer then you can disable it by default in the Preferences.

Another thing you can do instead of resizing / repositioning is to bring the one you're having trouble with to the top of the Z-order: right-click on the fretboard and select the menu Arrange > Bring to Front. You should then be able to activate edit mode!

Re the capo insertion, what's happening there is that the toolbox has simple keyboard shortcuts. If you hover the mouse over an item in the toolbox you get a tooltip displayed showing a description of the tool and it's shortcut key. For example the shortcut for the Solid Rounded Capo is 'a'. These toolbox shortcuts are active when there's no text in edit mode. So when the fretboard is selected and you tap 'a' you'll see the selected tool changes and when you click you get a capo!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Z-order is the depth field in 3 dimensional space. If you think of the X and Y axes, X going right and Y going up, then Z is in effect going into the page. Think of it as layers, just control what shows if objects are placed on top of each other, or parts of them overlap.

Repositioning and resizing - yes drag/drop - to reposition you just click on an object and drag it around the page. When an object is selected you'll notice it has small squares around it (they're "handles") - click and drag a handle to resize.

> just click on the fretboard twice and it will go into edit mode

Not quite - not just anywhere on the fretboard. To edit the header/title you need to double click that, similarly for the footer. Just double-clicking on the main fretboard area won't help. As I mentioned, if you've got overlapping fretboards - and I don't mean just the main fretboard area, then it might not be the one you expect that receives the double-click event. You can tell if there's overlap by the selection outline with the handles - click one fretboard then another and you'll see if the outlines intersect.

Maybe you can upload a page you're having trouble with? Or email it over? It'll be much easier to try it with the page you're using as otherwise I'm just guessing!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information