Note name behind nut

As a teacher, I would like to be able to write in the note name (2-char) behind the nut (Mute/Open string area), similar to the X indicating unplayed string so that I can identify the notes in chord.

Acceptance Criteria:
    - Ability to enter note letter - A to G in the Mute/Open String Area
    - Ability to add accidental, b or # after the note letter (Ab or G#, for instance)
    - Note placement is similar to the X behind the nut to indicate unplayed string
    - Optional: Indicating the root of the chord (with the open circle) automatically fill in the notes
    Last edited by RChibnik; 01-14-2024 at 08:45 PM.

Hi Ron,

You can already do this - just use a regular note marker and make sure the fretboard setting is checked to "Show notes/intervals on open strings" - this thread has some screenshots:

If you want it to look like plain text instead of a note, then using a hollow note marker and setting the outline colour to white (to match the page background) should do the trick!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion. I'll try it out.

I couldnt get that to work. What I'd like to see is for the fretted note name to be displayed. I'm ok with adding it myself.

Get it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by RChibnik View Post
    I couldnt get that to work. What I'd like to see is for the fretted note name to be displayed. I'm ok with adding it myself.
    Any luck? I have been trying everything to get an open string name on my fretboards.
    Thanks
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by RChibnik View Post
    Hi Ron,

It sounds like I've got the wrong end of the stick.. It's not actually open strings you want labelled at the nut? You want to show note names at the nut alongside mute markers for an actual fretted note further along the fretboard, right?

So kind of like having the note names at the end of the fretboard like the 'legend' feature provides, but displayed at the opposite end by the nut?
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by skipneumann View Post
    Any luck? I have been trying everything to get an open string name on my fretboards.
    Thanks
    Skip
    Hi Skip,

The answer to how to do that is in the link in the earlier reply..

You need to put a note marker at the nut and then enable the fretboard option in the Inspector to "Draw notes/intervals on open strings", screenshots in that thread! Your fretboard should of course also be set to show note names on the note markers..
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thread Information