Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to move ND from one computer to another

Something that's been cropping up recently is how to move Neck Diagrams from one computer to another... must be a whole lotta people upgrading at the moment

It's actually quite easy - you need to move your 'workspace' folder, whose location depends on what operating system you're running.

If you have a look in the help docs, under menu Help > Help Contents you'll find a section called Neck Diagrams > Reference > Diagram File Location which'll tell you where this is for different operating systems. Note that for Windows 7 it's the same as for Vista.

You just need to move/copy the folder from the old machine (with ND exited first!) to the appropriate location on the new one, install ND and all will be just as you left it
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Thanks for the tip, Justin! I can never remember where my diagrams are kept. I find them eventually But still, nice to know how to migrate. Any chance of being able to specify where diagrams are stored? I know you can do this for the backup folder. I however, don't care for where Windows 7 puts my documents by default. I'm old school, cut my teeth on unix and cp/m and I have all my directories for documents all under one or two folders and then subfolders under that. I like it that way Don't get me wrong, when my 76 year old mother calls I know where her docs are under Win 7 so in that sense it's helpful, but it would be nice to have the flexibility....

Kind Regards,
    Fleet

(Hmm I don't seem to have had an email notifying me of your reply! )

Yes, being able to control where your diagrams are kept is on the task list already!

I'd probably make this an option in the Preferences, so when installed it uses the default location. But users can later change the location if they choose to do so. And again and again later, if they're undecided
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Sounds easy, but I get a "Trial Version" when it opens. Any suggestions?

Hi davepgusa

You just need to register with the license code you would have received via email when you purchased.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can be further help.

Regards
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by davepgusa View Post
    Sounds easy, but I get a "Trial Version" when it opens. Any suggestions?
    You're trying to copy the workspace folder from one machine to another? If you're getting "Trial Version" but the machine you're copying from has a license then something is wrong! You should see ND start up on the other machine EXACTLY how it was on the other, with all the files showing up in the Diagram Gallery.

Make sure you're copying the parent 'NeckDiagrams' folder itself (as that will take all the contents including non-visible files & databases..) - if you're just trying to copy the contents of the workspace folder file by file then it probably won't work right.
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Has anything changed on this in current versions? I've followed the above and copied the contents of my "Neck Diagrams" folder from one computer to the same folder on another and I don't see them when I open the program. I can go to the folder and open one of the files but then don't seem to be able to save it. I can't import individually, it gives me an error with the following text ... java.lang.NullPointerException ...
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBar View Post
    I've followed the above and copied the contents of my "Neck Diagrams" folder from one computer to the same folder on another and I don't see them when I open the program.
    Hi Pete,

I'm afraid you haven't quite followed the above - you copied the CONTENTS but you have to copy the actual FOLDER itself! There's sub-folders which are hidden by default, containing essential database files etc, so you have to copy the actual NeckDiagrams folder itself directly. Copying the contents you see will not work..

You'll need to rename/delete the NeckDiagrams folder on the target computer and try again. Any problems then please email us for more detailed assistance!
    Justin
    Author of Neck Diagrams

Hi Justin,

Been using ND for a few years now. Love it. I have it on 2 different computers, and am trying to get all my files together in one place. Both computers are running Windows 7. The problem - on 1 computer the steps listed in the HELP section brought me right to the AppData/Roaming folder just like it was supposed to. I found all my files - no sweat. On my other computer (also running Windows 7), when I go to my C:Users folder, there is no AppData folder inside. The ND program itself works great and is clearly saving my files SOMEWHERE. I just have no clue how to find them. I tried searching the computer for specific file names, as well as the fbd extension with no luck. Help??

Hi Scott

The AppData folder is hidden by default. I guess you set Window's to 'Show hidden files' on the first computer.

Here's a link on how to enable this in Win 7 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...w-hidden-files

The other option without enabling hidden files is to

1. Press the Windows+R keys
    2. Type %AppData% into the Run command
    3. Press Enter
    4. You should be directed to the AppData\Roaming folder and can see NeckDiagrams.

Please don't go moving files in and out of this folder as it'll result in errors. Copying the entire folder from one computer to the other will work. Or you can export files and folders from the Diagram Gallery and drag /drop them into the other one. Here's a link to a short video

- https://youtu.be/v7CethmxGvU

Regards
    Dean

Thread Information