PDA

View Full Version : Interval Map Generator (as in scale generator tool ND)

Grey Karma
02-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi all,

Firstly I think Neck Diagrams is a great product and has really helped many teachers to develop well presented lesson plans.

One feature I would really like to see is the ability to create interval maps (similar to the scale generator version). This would really help me to explain scale and chord interval spellings in a visual way through a graphic representation similar to the piano. I have long felt that while piano diagrams are really helpful for seeing the flats/sharps available in a key/scale, the guitar is a much better medium for showing semi-tones and whole-tones and how they are the building blocks of all the other intervals we come across when studying harmony and theory. But the key is showing these intervals on a single string. If we had the ability to create these types of diagrams it would be one more tool at our disposal when creating effective lesson plans.

Best,
Mark

Dean
02-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi Mark

Welcome to forum and thanks for the kind words and suggestion.

Just trying to better understand where you're coming from. Do you mean you just want to draw a specific interval formula (3/4 note maj / min arpeggios, Pents, Diatonics etc) but only along one string?

If so, then I believe (I can check) that we have this down as a future feature for Scale Generator. You'll choose from all the current interval maps (or create your own custom ones) and then select which strings you want to apply it to.

Do let know if I've misunderstood though :)

Regards
Dean

Justin
02-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Ah I didn't get this either earlier - but I think I do now!

One feature I would really like to see is the ability to create interval maps (similar to the scale generator version).

If the correct light bulb just lit up, then you'd like to be able to show the dark rounded-rectangle we have on the Scale Generator with the orange dots & grey dots, right?!

I'm pretty sure someone else asked about doing this before too, so we probably have a ticket for it.. will need to have a rummage around!

Grey Karma
02-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Hi Mark

Welcome to forum and thanks for the kind words and suggestion.

Just trying to better understand where you're coming from. Do you mean you just want to draw a specific interval formula (3/4 note maj / min arpeggios, Pents, Diatonics etc) but only along one string?

If so, then I believe (I can check) that we have this down as a future feature for Scale Generator. You'll choose from all the current interval maps (or create your own custom ones) and then select which strings you want to apply it to.

Do let know if I've misunderstood though :)

Regards
Dean

Hi Dean,

You are right. I'd like to be able to represent different arpeggios/chord formulas/Scales on just one string just like the single string diagram that appears on the bottom of the scale generator screen. Maybe some design features like showing the partial fret as this may help the diagrams look visually clearer to the student.

Another idea I've been working on is colour coding each note which then allows me to show the intervals for whatever scale/arpeggio I'm writing out. The idea is the the note colour doesn't change as it's tied to the note name however the interval will change depending on which key you are in e.g. C is red, is the root of C Major Scale, is the b3 of A natural minor scale (Aeolian). Eventually a student will come to recognise a not by colour and the interval of the particular key is also represented. It would be really cool if there was a way of saving each note colour as a template so that I can call it up at any time without having to use the inspector colour choosing tool.

I hope I am articulating my ideas clearly. If not let me know and I will articulate them better.

Mark

Dean
02-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi Mark

Hi Dean,

You are right. I'd like to be able to represent different arpeggios/chord formulas/Scales on just one string just like the single string diagram that appears on the bottom of the scale generator screen. Maybe some design features like showing the partial fret as this may help the diagrams look visually clearer to the student.

OK, I see. I think Justin interpreted it better than me. I'll see if we have the support ticket Justin mentioned and add your comments and interest in this feature. If we don't have one I'll create one, sounds like a cool little feature.

Another idea I've been working on is colour coding each note which then allows me to show the intervals for whatever scale/arpeggio I'm writing out. The idea is the the note colour doesn't change as it's tied to the note name however the interval will change depending on which key you are in e.g. C is red, is the root of C Major Scale, is the b3 of A natural minor scale (Aeolian). Eventually a student will come to recognise a not by colour and the interval of the particular key is also represented. It would be really cool if there was a way of saving each note colour as a template so that I can call it up at any time without having to use the inspector colour choosing tool.

I hope I am articulating my ideas clearly. If not let me know and I will articulate them better.

Mark

We're actually planning something like this for a future version. You'll be able to set specific colours and I believe shapes for each interval in your preferences. These would be automatically drawn when using the Scale Generator. So you could set every major 3rd to be drawn as a blue triangle for example.

I'm not sure if we've discussed fixing colours to note names though. I guess there might be users who'd want to do this the other way around too. That is, fix colours to specific intervals and set the note marker to display the note name.

Maybe we need to add an option for either. I'll get all the above added to the ticket we have open for this.

Thanks
Dean

Justin
02-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Actually I might be interpreting the request slightly wrong, Mark?

Maybe rather than being able to place a replica of the interval map you want to be able to have a fretboard that can show just a single string?

This is something that's also on the plan, ie being able to adjust a fretboard to show not only all strings but a restricted range, be it 1 string or say the top 3!