PDA

View Full Version : Single string option

Stringtheorist
12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I would find it useful to have an option to display a single string rather than a full instrument fretboard. Alternatively, perhaps all the different stringed-instrument options in the Inspector could be consolidated and replaced with a tool to allow you to simply select the number of strings you wanted.

Would anyone else find this feature valuable?

Dean
12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi Stringtheorist

I would find it useful to have an option to display a single string rather than a full instrument fretboard.

Just wondering if you've seen our Instrument Library tutorial available at the following link. If you haven't seen it perhaps there's something in there that might aid your workflow.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhZNI_LtME

As mentioned in the video, the minimum amount of strings per fretboard is currently 3, but it's a little closer to what you want I guess. And although a 4 string instrument is used in the example, setting the string amount and tuning will be the same.

Alternatively, perhaps all the different stringed-instrument options in the Inspector could be consolidated and replaced with a tool to allow you to simply select the number of strings you wanted.

OK, so instead of sorting by an instrument category (Banjo, Bass, Guitar etc); the main filter would be by string amount and the sub menu would contain all the instruments with that many strings? Perhaps a third menu for tunings?

Thanks
Dean

Justin
12-09-2014, 09:32 PM
I think Dean's got the wrong end of the stick here! ;)

You want to have a fretboard that's just showing a single string, right? I'm pretty sure we've got a ticket for this, someone's already asked to do something similar, showing 2 strings iirc so I'll need to double check I'm not imagining things but reckon this is on the "to do" list!

Viktor G.
01-11-2021, 10:51 PM
Hi, new member here. Has this been implemented yet(I can't really find it)? I would really like being able to generate single string fretboards(even 2).

Justin
01-14-2021, 10:45 PM
Hi Viktor,

Not yet implemented I'm afraid. I'll add your vote to the dev ticket, it'll get bumped up the queue!

The closest you could get to achieving this at the moment would be to create an instrument with 3 strings, which is the fewest strings allowed currently.

Just "thinking out loud", what we'd probably do to support this as a proper new feature would be to have a slider that tells the fretboard which strings to paint - by default all of them, but could be strings 2-4, or just string 3, for example..