PDA

View Full Version : User's Guide in a PDF?

Erik in NJ
10-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Just bought the Pro package last night. Software looks great, but now I need to learn how to use the many features that it has. I can't play with it at work and since there is no iPad version I cannot play with it on the train, though I would love to. Since I have a long train commute back and forth to NYC every day it would be nice if I could read a good old fashioned User's Guide document say in PDF format printed on paper. Personally I can't stand reading on-line documentation and always prefer to have a real book or document in front of me--guess I'm a bit old-fashioned. Is there a PDF User's Guide somewhere that I can print out and read on the train?

Justin
10-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi Erik,

There isn't currently a PDF version of the user guide, however the documentation with the application isn't actually online - it's embedded in the app! You could click on each section and save a PDF from the browser perhaps; you'll then have a bunch of PDFs and could collate into a single if preferred.

Are you using a Mac? It's easy just dragging and dropping thumbnails in Preview - not sure about Windows, maybe Adobe's Reader lets you do that too?

You could definitely watch our tutorial videos on your iPad though, assuming you've mobile data:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeckDiagrams/videos

And I'm planning on getting an iPad version under way soon also (there's a thread about that around here somewhere..) - it's a massive undertaking on top of all the v2 work we're already doing though!

Erik in NJ
10-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, by on-line I mean on the computer screen (in a help environment, not neccessarily on the Web)--I'm old fashioned and I much prefer to have a book or paper manual in front of me especially for things like reading on the train. I don't have Internet access on either of my iPads (regular and mini) at this time. I guess I can try and cut and past some of your help screens, but I guess the bigger problem is that I do not have any PDF creator software. Would you consider supplying a User's Guide in PDF format with the product? I do miss the old days where you always got a nice manual with a piece of software--I realize that times have changed, but I do feel there are still many benefits to having that physical book there in front of you. A PDF file would be a nice compromise as it could be distributed electronically and those of us that wish to print it out can do so. I am currently PC based (oh the horror! :) ), but I also have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Book Air. Can I install your software on these three platforms or is there a limit on the number of installs? I use my Lennovo laptop as my main computer at home and rarely travel with that one because of it size.

Regarding the iPad app--sounds like a great idea. Stanley is in Russia right now touring, but when I show him your software and we have a chance to discuss some ideas I'm sure we'll have some interesting thoughts on what you have created--I have already been mulling a few scenarios in my mind. Hopefully we can all speak some time in the near future.

Anyway, thanks again for a very fine piece of software!

Justin
10-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Would you consider supplying a User's Guide in PDF format with the product?

Sure, it's something I can raise a ticket for - there might already be one in fact!

I guess I can try and cut and past some of your help screens, but I guess the bigger problem is that I do not have any PDF creator software.

Well this turns out to be easier than I thought, as the Help system has a nifty option to "Print selected topic and subtopics" as you can see here:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/images/forums/print-whole-help-docs.png

I've saved the output and uploaded it so you can download the docs as a PDF (http://www.neckdiagrams.com/download-files/NeckDiagramsHelpDocs.pdf) (<= link!) and put it on your iPad etc :)

I am currently PC based (oh the horror! :) ), but I also have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Book Air. Can I install your software on these three platforms or is there a limit on the number of installs?

Sure, the license isn't tied to a specific OS and three installs is fine.

I'm sure we'll have some interesting thoughts on what you have created

Looking forward to hearing them!