PDA

View Full Version : Creating lines and boxes.

Johnland
02-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey folks.

I just wanted to toss an idea out there. It would be really cool if, at some point, we could freely create lines and boxes to outline things for students. I know we can already connect notes, but the ability to customize where those lines go would be sweet.

I've no idea how hard that is to implement, but I have used it in a fretboard software before. I can tell you for sure that it is mega handy!

Now, I do apologize if this is already possible! I tried to find a way to enable it, and checked all of the how-to vids and didn't see it :P.

Justin
02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Hey!

The more flexible lines/arrows is something I've got on the task list already, so it will be added to a future release, but I can't give you a date yet! But I do know it won't be in the (much delayed) 1.9 update coming shortly :p

You can kinda cheat to get a box on there though.. if you look at some of the examples you'll see there are borders around some things. Like in the Dorian Study there's a big orange box with a thin border around the whole page...

You can do something like that:

a text box with no text in it
set it to have a transparent background
set the text box font foreground colour to the colour you want for the box edges
click the checkbox to show the border

Here's an example, where I've just copied the orange text box I mentioned in the Dorian Study example, resized it and placed it over some random notes on a fretboard:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/forums-imgs/box-around-notes.jpg

Note that Z-order is pretty simplistic at the moment - the newest object is always on top! That's something else I've got on the list, to add 'Send to back' etc options... :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Johnland
02-24-2012, 05:14 PM
AH that is a great idea, and would work perfectly for what I want to present to my students. Thanks!