PDA

View Full Version : Options for default interval shapes/colors

fsenseman
01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi Justin,

The current functionality of showing the intervals within the notes is quite useful. I frequently find myself changing the shapes of 3rds and 7ths to something other than the default circle, as well as their colors. This gives me a quick visual of where my guide tones are etc. It would be nice to specify, for example, that all thirds use a triangle shape (solid or otherwise) in a user specified color. A style sheet might be overkill, perhaps just a dialog where default shapes and colors could be specified for each interval. This is already handled for root notes (as long as you like the circle) so perhaps this would be easy (compared to some of my other requests :) ) to implement.

By the way, it's very cool the way you can take a scale pattern, select all notes, move them up or down the fretboard and let the software set the new root allowing you to move scale patterns easily with the correct note names updated automatically.

Kind Regards,
Fleet

Justin
01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Hey Fleet,

I'm pretty sure I have this down on my list! Being able to automatically colour specific intervals would be neat - I don't think I've got down the bit about setting the note marker type though, but I get the idea.

I guess whichever note marker tool you used to create a note with then if the interval dictates a different style then it'll add that one regardless - which might be weird (as in "what the hell is is doing?"!! :rolleyes:).

Not a problem when using the Scale Generator though, but I'll have to think about the option there where you can choose the note marker style... :confused:

By the way, it's very cool the way you can take a scale pattern, select all notes, move them up or down the fretboard and let the software set the new root allowing you to move scale patterns easily with the correct note names updated automatically.

Glad you like it! This'll actually get even easier soon with the (long-awaited..) 1.9 release which has a basic Transpose function in it :cool:

fsenseman
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey Fleet,

I guess whichever note marker tool you used to create a note with then if the interval dictates a different style then it'll add that one regardless - which might be weird (as in "what the hell is is doing?"!! :rolleyes:).

Not a problem when using the Scale Generator though, but I'll have to think about the option there where you can choose the note marker style... :confused:

If you were to use a dialog box to assign default interval shapes and colors there could be a simple checkbox to enable it, I suppose. If not checked then whatever you enter is what you get, otherwise follow the rules set in the dialog. Would be easier than a confirmation dialog each time you wanted to override a shape...... Or, there could be an overide checkbox, in addition, on the inspector dialog for that particular diagram, or even note. More granular that way.... Set default at the top level (shape/color dialog), overrides on diagrams or notes.

Kind Regards,
Fleet

spinality
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Just to bump this thread: I'd also like to be able to set defaults for most elements: Default instrument, default fretboard color, default # frets...well, basically, everything that has a built-in default. I am constantly adjusting the default values to match "my" default preferences. You have 'reset' buttons for several attributes; I'd love to see 'set default' buttons next to these. I'd also like to be able to add new custom fretboard designs to the left toolbar.

(I'm assuming I don't already have any of these capabilities. Maybe I missed something...again....)

Though on reflection I should probably be using the diagram gallery for this purpose. Then I could use cut/paste instead of the toolbar icon. This would basically relegate the toolbar icon to being a shortcut used by beginners, with "serious" use normally starting from diagram prototypes. Hmm.

UPDATE: Duh, I was sure I'd seen a way to set lots of these defaults. It's under 'preferences' rather than via a link from the Inspector. So that might be a useful button: Inspector->Preferences for this class of object. I'd still like to see "set default" buttons alongside the "reset" buttons. And I have only just discovered that a prefs subpage lets me set colors.

Justin
05-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Yes it's all in the Preferences! Did you click the little triangle by the section "Fretboard"? You'll find you can control the default colours there :) Pretty much everything you can control in the Inspector should have a corresponding default.

I'm not keen on the idea of "Set Default" next to the "Reset" buttons - I'm concerned the Inspector has been getting cluttered and too complicated over time, possibly rather daunting for novice computer users too. If there's a way "Set Default" can be meaningfully abbreviated, such as with an icon perhaps, then that'd be a possibility though... Maybe something like the Mac System Preferences gears icon, like:

I have previously thought about some way of having a right-click context menu to 'Set default styles from this object' although my concern is that it'd be too all-encompassing and not granular enough. Perhaps submenus to set default size, colours...?

Might also be time to add a help button to the Inspector and to write a bunch more help text for each section. Maybe I should see about hiring someone to help with that.. would be good to find someone from the community of ND users with familiarity of the product. Perhaps I can mention that in a upcoming newsletter...

spinality
05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Yes it's all in the Preferences! Did you click the little triangle by the section "Fretboard"?

Yes, as I said I had missed that somehow. I still would like to have a default instrument. But yes, lots of defaults in there.

I'm not keen on the idea of "Set Default" next to the "Reset" buttons - I'm concerned the Inspector has been getting cluttered and too complicated over time, possibly rather daunting for novice computer users too.

Many systems have paired 'set' and 'reset' buttons that don't seem daunting. I'd actually prefer a global 'reset' for the whole pref page in view, rather than reset on each individual item. Then you could have 'set' buttons to set the defaults for individual values, and a 'reset' as a panic button when you get things screwed up.

Consider having 'basic' and 'advanced' views for the Inspector. That way you can make the power users happy with lots of gory details and control features, but have a simple view for novice users. This approach has been very successful with many products.

Maybe something like the Mac System Preferences gears icon

Yes, icons are handy, especially when backed up with a tooltip that explains the purpose.

I have previously thought about some way of having a right-click context menu to 'Set default styles from this object' although my concern is that it'd be too all-encompassing and not granular enough. Perhaps submenus to set default size, colours...?

Interesting idea. Or how about this: when you pick "set default style" from the context menu, then a dialog pops up showing all the attributes currently set for the selection, and for each one you can choose 'set' or 'ignore'. If you have multiple objects selected, then the dialogue would 'vote' -- where values conflict, the field would be blank. Like when setting properties of media files (if all have the same composer, that composer name appears, otherwise the field shows as blank or 'various').

Might also be time to add a help button to the Inspector and to write a bunch more help text for each section. Maybe I should see about hiring someone to help with that.. would be good to find someone from the community of ND users with familiarity of the product. Perhaps I can mention that in a upcoming newsletter...

YES! Very important, I think. Self-documentation is a big factor in user acceptance and perception. (FWIW I've been doing such projects for 30+ years. Let me know if you'd like a hand.)