PDA

View Full Version : Custom Fret Markers

karmar
05-24-2019, 09:51 AM
It would be nice to be able to pick where the fret markers go on the neck - or even have NO fret markers if desired. Also, you might give us the option to have dots or boxes.

FwLineberry
05-25-2019, 08:32 PM
You already have the option to not show fret markers.

What would be the point of being able to choose where the fret markers go?

Dean
05-25-2019, 09:13 PM
@karmar - Fret markers can be set to 'None' at the fretboard on the 'Frets' page of the 'Inspector'. If you select multiple fretboards in the document this will apply to those too. You can also disable fret markers by default under the Window > Preferences > Frets menu.

@FwLineberry - the fretboard marker positions can vary across instrument and countries. After 7 years or so, we learned that the 9th fret marker on the Banjo should be at the 10th fret - so we changed this default in ND2. That said, it seems some still prefer the 9th fret and so providing a choice of where to display fret markers would cover all bases.

karmar
05-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Hi Dean,

My mandolin has a 10th fret dot, and most of my guitars have the 9th fret dot. ND2 already automatically puts a 10th fret dot for mandolins and a 9th fret dot for guitar. So you already thought this through and have 99% of options covered! That said, I also have a gypsy guitar that has a 10th fret dot... (It seems to me that about half of the time gypsy guitars have the 10th fret dot) So having the option to have either 9th or 10th fret dots would be nice if I was doing a specific tune for my gypsy guitar, BUT DEFINITELY NOT A BIG DEAL!

By the way.... I am not sure how updates work with ND.... How do users know when you come up with updates? Do you send out a notification? Or do we just need to use the CHECK FOR UPDATES option in the program occasionally to check?

Thanks again for providing such a great well-thought-out program!

Mark

ps. I was pursuing your FEATURE REQUESTS forum to see if there were things other users had wished for that I would also find helpful and it seems that most of the feature requests have already been implemented in ND2. Am I correct in this interpretation?

FwLineberry
05-26-2019, 11:04 PM
@FwLineberry - the fretboard marker positions can vary across instrument and countries. After 7 years or so, we learned that the 9th fret marker on the Banjo should be at the 10th fret - so we changed this default in ND2. That said, it seems some still prefer the 9th fret and so providing a choice of where to display fret markers would cover all bases.

Ahh... I sometimes forget that the world doesn't revolve around guitars.

Dean
05-29-2019, 11:39 AM
Lol! I used to be exactly the same and only learnt about alternatives through ND.

Justin
05-30-2019, 04:18 PM
By the way.... I am not sure how updates work with ND.... How do users know when you come up with updates? Do you send out a notification? Or do we just need to use the CHECK FOR UPDATES option in the program occasionally to check?

Aha you PM'd me this also, just replied, but for the benefit of others - ND2 periodically performs a check for updates and shows a notification popup when it finds something new. You can configure the frequency of the checks in Preferences.

We also post update info to our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/NeckDiagrams/) page. Sometimes we'll send out emails too, but generally only for larger updates.

ps. I was pursuing your FEATURE REQUESTS forum to see if there were things other users had wished for that I would also find helpful and it seems that most of the feature requests have already been implemented in ND2. Am I correct in this interpretation?

I'd have to spend time going through the old posts to figure that out, but time is in very short supply! I do know we implemented a sh*t tonne of feature for ND2!! (pardon my French lol) Folks also raise requests directly via email..

Our internal feature/bug tracking system still has lots of things logged for us to work on so there's a mountain of things for us to consider and implement, albeit a smaller mountain since the ND2 release :)