PDA

View Full Version : Printing Wrong

route66
04-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Using NDII, when I go to print a diagram, it prints very large and un-centered. I can't figure out how to change it. Help!

Justin
04-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Hi route66,

There's some settings in the Preferences > Printing page - try changing some of these options and see if that helps..

Johnland
04-29-2019, 09:08 PM
Hello there!

I'm also having the same issue, and it is keeping from being able to use ND2 for teaching.

I've tried resetting printing preferences, I've tried copying the exact settings that ND1 has, and I've tried custom settings. Nothing has worked, all sheets are printing incorrectly. ND1, with the same settings, prints as it always has. Every page option in ND2 is set the same as ND1, which is basically default, but the page is still cut off on the bottom and top.

I have to reduce the size of everything from ND1 by such a degree that many students can't read the charts.

This is occurring on OSX 10.13.6. I've spent time troubleshooting to avoid pestering you guys too much, but so far I've had no success.

Thanks for any suggestions you can toss my way!

Dean
05-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Hi Johnland

In ND2 what is the document page size? I mean, click on an empty space on the page and the 'Page Size and Orientation' will be displayed in the Inspector on the right side of the screen/interface. Is it A4 or US Letter for example?

When you print this, does your printer suggest the same size as the document or something different?

Also, and assuming you have a version that supports it, what happens if you export to PDF? Is the exported PDF a true representation of the ND2 document? If so, what happens if you print the PDF, is that also cut off when printing or does it print what you expect?

Best

Johnland
05-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Hey Dean,

Thanks for the reply!

Page size:

The Page size in set to A4 in ND2

Printer options:

When I print, the option under Page Attributes is set to US Letter. Whether I keep US Letter or choose A4, the page prints out incorrectly in ND2.

Printing to PDF:

Printing to PDF with US Letter selected in the printing options produces the same result that printing does. However, changing it to A4 causes it to print to PDF correctly. The physical prints are still off, regardless of the option chosen.

Exporting to PDF:

If I use the export wizard PDF files look as they should.

I’ve checked several times to see if there are any differences between printing in ND1 and ND2. With all options being identical, ND1 has no issues with printing correctly.

Johnland
05-20-2019, 11:20 PM
Hey folks!

Any update on this? Once the new Ryzen processors come out, I'll be switching to Windows and perhaps the issue will disappear.

Until then, I still can't print from ND2 without exporting through the PDF wizard. Since I often make small changes to charts for specific students, I find it too inconvenient to use ND2.

Justin
05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Hi Johnland,

I'd first suggest you make sure your page sizes in ND2 are matching your actual paper size that's in your printer!

I'm guessing your paper is 'US Letter', if so then make sure the pages you're printing are set to US Letter in ND2 too.

You can change the default page size in the Preferences so you don't have to do this for every new page you create, but you'll probably need to change it via the Inspector for any docs/pages you've created in ND2.

I imagine your default page size in ND1 is correctly set to 'US Letter' but not in ND2?!

Johnland
05-21-2019, 01:16 AM
Hi Johnland,

I'd first suggest you make sure your page sizes in ND2 are matching your actual paper size that's in your printer!

I'm guessing your paper is 'US Letter', if so then make sure the pages you're printing are set to US Letter in ND2 too.

You can change the default page size in the Preferences so you don't have to do this for every new page you create, but you'll probably need to change it via the Inspector for any docs/pages you've created in ND2.

I imagine your default page size in ND1 is correctly set to 'US Letter' but not in ND2?!

Thanks for the reply!

I have changed the printing page size to match exactly what ND1 is set to, this did not help. I did thorough troubleshooting of the issue, there is no combination of page options that fixes the physical print out. I made sure to cover all of my bases several times over before posting here, and then several times again before my follow up. What is bizarre is that I can get the PDF print preview to correctly show the charts, but printing with the same options still cuts off the top and bottom of the page.

I'll just stick to ND1 for now and hope that I don't have the same issue when I build my new system. If the problem occurs after a fresh installing on a new system and different OS, I'll update you!

karmar
05-24-2019, 02:17 AM
Hello! I am a new user using version 2 and the printing works fine on my Windows computer with no adjustments to the page size or anything else... I just pressed print (for the first time) and my printed page looks just like it is supposed to.

Coincidentally, I DO have exactly the same problem you describe with cutting off the bottom of the page with a different program I use for making TABS: Guitar Pro! And like your problem with ND2, my GuitarPro shows everything is fine in the print preview - it just prints wrong and no amount of tweaking boundaries gets it right. My work around with the GuitarPro program is to manually insert page breaks to force the stuff at the bottom of the page to the next page. (btw, I love GuitarPro ALMOST as much as NeckDiagrams! Both are indispensable tools for me)

Anyway - I have a few suggestions you might try:

1) You probably did this - but have you tried rebooting your computer?

2) I am curious if this printing problem occurs with all documents, of just the current document you are working on? I have used MSWord for years – it works great 99.99% of the time, but every year or so I think I get some kind of corruption in a document and nothing can save it. So if it turns out to be just your document that has gotten corrupted somehow, then you could try copy/pasting into a new document and see how that goes. Otherwise, you might have to remake your original diagrams in a new document.

3) If your printing problem is with ALL documents, as a last resort, you could always try reinstalling the Neck Diagram software - maybe something got written to a bad sector on your drive or something like that....

4) If all you are still having the same problem, then you could simply use a snipping tool (I use SNAGIT on windows) and just copy/paste images from your screen into your word processor. Neck Diagrams is amazing for doing diagrams - but for me, I dont really need it to be a word processor also.

Good Luck!

Johnland
05-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Karmar.

Guitarpro has had that issue for years, I don't know if they'll ever work that out. I ended up moving to other notation software a while ago, but I know what you mean!

Unfortunately, I've exhausted all troubleshooting methods I could think of. I've definitely reinstalled and restarted. It's not a big deal, ND1 still works just fine and I'll be moving to a new system soon. Once my computer is built and software is installed, I'll see how things are working.

Thanks, folks.

Dean
05-24-2019, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

First off, I need to clarify that genuine members of NeckDiagrams team cannot and will not engage in questions relating to any 3rd party. Forum members are advised to contact said 3rd party via the support channels it offers its users.

Now, on to the ND2 issue.

@Karmar - as per Johland, a genuine 'thank you' for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback and potential solutions. The obvious argument from our perspective is that you're a new ND2 user whilst Johnland has followed the ND1 upgrade path.

@Johnland - by all means revert to ND1 if it's a quick solution. My worry is you cannot access the features only available in ND2! Personally, there are so many improvements, enhancements and the like, I would respectfully ask you to continue with ND2 and simply export to PDF when you need to print.

My concern is that you'll mix and match your ND1 and ND2 workspaces until they're way out of sync.

I will send you a private message on how to access and forward us files that should help us investigate and identify any issues.

Best
Dean

Johnland
05-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Thank you for the response, Dean.

To be honest, unless a lot of folks are reporting a similar issue, I'm okay with just using ND1 for now. I'm pretty good at managing my files, and I'll definitely only be installing ND2 on the new system when the time comes.

I'd hate to take up a lot of your time, especially if there are potentially bigger fish to fry on the development side of things.

That being said, I'm absolutely willing to do/send whatever you need. Let me know!

You guys all have a groovy day.

Johnland
08-07-2019, 12:00 AM
Hey folks!

I've finally moved a new system into my room, and have had some time to work with ND2 on a fresh Windows 10 installation.

It does seem like all of my diagrams are seeing some scaling issue when opened with ND2, though it is far less extreme than it was on my OSX installation. Everything seems slightly larger, and the font size within text bosses is several notches higher than in ND1. This is far more manageable an issue than I was experiencing previously, and I can make small adjustments as needed without it taking too much time.

I have experienced some issues with occasional crashes, stalling, and slow performance. I generally don't utilize more than 50-60% of my available RAM, am working from a SSD, and have a reasonably decent processor that is rarely under heavy load. The above issue that occurs most frequently would be slow performance, where the program will chug along slowly and/or not respond for a bit.

Altogether, I can use the program now and am very happy about that.

Dean
08-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Hi John

There are some minor scaling/font size differences when opening a file on Windows that was created on OSX and vice versa. It's down to their different native dpi with OSX being 72dpi and Windows 96dpi.

We're working on a solution so files can be shared across platforms and edited seamlessly.

Is the original print issue resolved after moving to Windows?

Regards
Dean

Johnland
10-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Hello Dean,

I'm so sorry for not following up here, with some projects coming due and my teaching scheduling filling back up at the end of summer, I forgot to check back here!

Thank you for the info on the font size differences, that helped clear things up in that regard.

The original print issue carried over to Windows, unfortunately. New diagrams do not seem to have this issue, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. I've started recreating charts as needed so that everything would print the way it used to. I'm changing a few things about how I present information to students, so I'll be focusing on making and using new charts anyways.

I've compared all settings between new diagrams and old ones, and nothing seems to be different.